Friday, May 29, 2009

Slowly But Surely...

That is how I feel about the progress I've made towards getting my family to a "cleaner" diet. The kids are on board (not like they have much choice at ages 1 and 2)... the husband? Not so much. There are just certain changes he's not happy about making. Giving up white bread is a prime example. He just doesn't do wheat. Not eating the yolk of an egg? Not easy for him. For me it's been pretty simple and we have definitely come a long way. I have to say that most of our produce is now organic (with the exception of things you peel like bananas and pineapple), we now have whole grain bread and not just a brown colored white that says "wheat" on the wrapper, and I actually bought organic almond milk... now let me tell you: that is something I really never thought I'd buy!!! It's actually pretty good!! It is something that'll take a little getting used to and I don't think I could ever drink it alone, but for cereal and shakes, it'll do! (The reason I switched milks is because I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant and every time I drink milk I get a bad stomach ache and end up in the ladies room... you know where this is going so I'll stop here. Don't say I never did anything for you.)
So the changes are coming... slowly but surely.
In other news, we are making progress in packing for San Diego. We headed out to Ontario Mills on Monday (yes we went on Memorial Day... that's how we roll.) and all of the prices were EXCELLENT!!! Our first stop was Baby Gap... we bought the toddler 3 swim trunks: two of them were priced at $6.67 and one was $9.99... you can't beat that!! We also found a pair of denim pedal pushers ($14.99 but were a must have) for Ava and walked out paying next to nothing!! Our next stop was Gymboree where we got Ava a swimsuit that is simply ADORABLE with a matching teal cover up and sunglasses!!! The suit was $9.99, the cover up was $10.99 and the glasses were $2.99... love it!! Then... we hit up Osh Kosh where we got Ava 3, yes 3, pair of shorts (they were all $5!!) and a cute red and white checkered dress for $8. We got Jake 2 pair of cargo shorts in navy and tan and they were $9 each. The entire store was 50% off so we really took our time there!! By the time we were done at Osh Kosh, the kids were starting to burn out so we started making our way back. The husband and I took one last stop at a shoe store and I actually bought something for myself!! Rare, but necessary. I finally found a pair of running shoes! (I swear my feet grow with each pregnancy and I'm now a 9 1/2!!) They are light pink and white, super cute, and they were $49.99. Overall it was a successful trip! On our way out of the mall, we had to make a quick stop at the apple place (candy store) and we all got a treat: the husband got a caramel apple, the kids shared a ginormous chocolate chip cookie and milk, and I got some kind of toffee, chocolate, nutty thing. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it!! Lol It was kind of like a heath bar if that helps... yum. We made it back to the car and THANK GOD for our DVD player in the Sequoia. They watched Toy Story 2 the whole way home and were like two little church mice. The husband and I could actually enjoy the peace and quiet!!! It really was a successful day and we are that much closer to being ready for some fun in the sun in San Diego... now just pray for good weather!!!!
xoxo

2 comments:

Linky said...

oh how fun Alexi! Good for you and the changes...I'm still working on getting more healthy in our house- its hard. Where are you going/ staying in SD?

Alessandra said...

we are staying at the doubletree at hotel circle... it looks nice in the pics so i have my fingers crossed!!! lol


Premade Design by Delicious Design Studio